The ecclesiastical states are the three states of the Catholic Church: Each state is the Church itself, is in communion with the other states, and is able to affect the other states. The states include the Church Militant - the saints on Earth, the Church Suffering - the saints in Purgatory, and the Church Triumphant - the saints in Heaven. Because the Church is the communion of saints, it is called the Church of Heaven and Earth.
- ↑ http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p5.htm
- ↑ Pope Benedict, General Audience of Wednesday, 26 January 2011 ...the “Church militant” on earth...
- ↑ Messale Terra Santa, page 76 ...the sons and daughters of the Church suffering.
- ↑ Pope Benedict, General Audience of Wednesday, 26 January 2011 ...the “Church triumphant” of Heaven...
- ↑ http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p5.htm#II